These days I’m thankful for:
- God’s grace in dealing patiently and mercifully with me when I’m being a brat, and in helping me to see things more like the way he sees them.
- Mint iced tea.
- Gluten free pasta – a luxury.
- Freedom from certain legalistic boundaries. Legalism is the worst. The earth is the LORD’s, and all that it contains, and when someone uses a thing God created, not from faith, that doesn’t make that created thing evil. The evil thing is actually our sinful hearts. It would be like saying, “So many people misuse food, being gluttonous. Therefore, food must be evil.” NO! That is faulty logic! The food itself is not the problem; the problem is the heart of man, who twists and misuses creation in a way the God did not design creation to be used. Although hardly anyone would believe this (in that we need food to survive), many legalistic arguments follow this same logic, I’ve noticed. We all need to realize (including myself) that all things are created by God, and he has created them to be enjoyed, rightly. Alcohol is a good thing, but in enjoying it, don’t lose your self-control or ability to discern “should I say/do this, or not?”. Food is good, but don’t be a glutton. Friendship, music, writing, etc., are good things, but they can be used for good, or for evil. When they are used for evil, that doesn’t make those things “off-limits” (i.e. “Dancing is bad, because sometimes people can do suggestive things while doing it.” No, dancing is not the issue, the suggestive actions are the issue. One can dance in a way that glorifies God). The things that God created can be used for good (bringing glory to him), or for evil (using them not in the way he intended them to be used).
- Life. Yes, I am so thankful for life in general. It’s awesome. I mean, of course, there are those days when everything goes wrong and the day couldn’t be short enough, but there are also those days when it’s sunny out, and I get to go on adventures with my friends, and hilarious things happen, and good conversations are had, etc., etc. Life is just beautiful.
- Technology. Seriously, it makes life SO much easier.
- Salads. They’re SO good. Last week I made this salad (twice) out of baby kale (chopped up roughly), chicken, cherry tomatoes (halved, so they don’t explode in your mouth), avocado, and then olive oil and lemon juice for dressing. AHHH.
- Long, deep conversations.
- Fresh berries.
- A fan, when it’s super hot and the house doesn’t have A/C.